December Word of the Month: Joy
It's time for a new word of the month!
This month the word is: JOY
The definition of joy is: a feeling of great pleasure and happiness.
Other words that might be useful in your journaling are: delight, great pleasure, joyful, joyfulness, jubilation, triumph, rejoice, happy, happiness, glee, glad, gladness, exhilaration, exuberance, elation, euphoria, bliss, ecstasy, and enjoyment.
Page ideas and journaling prompts you could use:
• What is your greatest joy?
• Write a list of the things that bring joy to your life.
• What does the word joy mean to you?
• Who are the people in your life that bring you joy?
• What places bring you joy? Foods? Songs? Movies? Activities? Sports? Hobbies?
• What about your kids/significant other/parents/friends/siblings/coworkers makes you feel joyful?
• How do you find the joy in tough situations?
• Think of joy in the five senses. What does it smell like? Taste like? Look like? Sound like? Feel like?
• How can you return joy to those that bring you joy?
• Who is someone that you know that always seems joyful?
• How do you encourage joyfulness?
• How do you show your joy to others?
• Write about a memorable joyful experience you had or someone close to you had. How did it make you feel?
• How does it make you feel to see joy in others?
For my layout this month I used the word “joy” as part of my title and also as a large design element on my page. My son, Drew, was bursting at the seams with happiness over getting his first phone and so I wanted to use that as inspiration for the design. The design is literally bursting from the word “JOY” on my layout. I think it’s a lot of fun to take a feeling or a theme element and incorporate it into the design.
For the burst design I used a combination of patterned papers, watercolors, stitching, stars, and Nuvo drops. Since our We Create event, I’ve been dying to play around with watercolors again. I find them to be a lot of fun and really quite simple to use. Just like anything new, it does take some practice, but I really feel like it’s almost hard to make a mistake with them.
To get this look, I used Pinkfresh Studio liquid watercolors in three colors: Sunshine (yellow), Clementine (orange), and Candy Apple (red.) Once the watercolors had dried I used a Wink of Stella brush to add some super fine glittery sparkle over the watercolors.
Next I added the “JOY” background and the patterned paper pieces. To finish the look I added some stitched lines, cut out stars, and then some Nuvo Crystal Drops in English Mustard.
Patterned papers are from: Simple Stories, My Mind’s Eye, and Pink Paislee
If you participate in the Word of the Month and create your own “JOY” layout, be sure to post it here in the comments! I would love to see what you create!