Sketch Support #7 | Learn How to Use and Adapt Scrapbook Sketches | Day 1
I'm really hoping that Sketch Support can bring some motivation and joy to scrapbookers during this difficult and strange time we are all going through. I admit, I almost didn't put this week together. I was sick for almost two weeks and I got caught up in all that is going on in this world and I just fell behind. But then, I thought, it might be good for the soul for both me and others, so Sketch Support pressed on! I hope you guys enjoy it as much as I enjoyed creating these layouts and giving myself that little break from all the craziness.
Here is the two-page sketch I used for the starting point of each layout I'm sharing this week.
You can download the full sketch with measurements and placements here.
Supplies used - Cardstock: American Crafts: Patterned papers: My Mind's Eye, BoBunny, and Simple Stories; Alphabet stickers: Prima; Wooden arrows: Heidi Swapp; Word stickers: Jillibean Soup and Simple Stories; Embroidery floss: DMC; Computer font: American Typewriter
This layout, out of all four layouts, is probably the closest one to the sketch, but it's still got a lot of changes.
Variation #1 - Flipping the sketch.
I started arranging everything for this layout and I noticed that because of the angle at which I was taking the pictures at, almost all of my photos have Drew facing in one direction. If I was following the sketch exactly, he was going to be facing off the layout in almost every photo. That happens to be a pet peeve of mine, so an easy fix is to simply flip the sketch from left to right.
This is also a great way to change up a favorite sketch that you like to use often.
Variation #2 - Changing a photo block.
This grouping of photos I used had a ton of different and odd sizes. I guess at some point I had printed these photos to use with a specific sketch and then just never got around to using them. I decided to use them with this sketch because I thought it would be, as Tim Gunn says, a good make it work moment. (I've been binge watching Project Runway lately!)
Photo blocks, like the one on this sketch, are so easy to change up to fit your needs. I used a bunch of square photos in several different sizes to create a large square block. The original block on the sketch is 8 x 9" and I changed to be a 9 x 9". It's only an extra inch so the only adjustment I made was moving the block over towards the center of the layout an extra inch.
I also played around with several different mats, layers, and backgrounds to create this block. I had a couple of 3 x 3" photos, a few 2-1/2 x 2-1/2" photos, and two 2 x 2" photos so I thought it would be fun to mix it up a little within this block of photos.
Variation #3 - Changing sizes and amount of photos.
On the right page, I used a 4 x 6" photo and a grouping of three 3 x 2" photos to create a similar look as the two 3-1/2 x 5" photos on the sketch. I added the three 3 x 2" photos to one mat so that I could use it as a whole in place of one photo.
Variation #4 - Add more background strips.
I added a few more of the horizontal strips. Because I used larger photos for the two grouped together, you just couldn't see a whole lot of the strips. I decided to add a few more strips to add a little more background behind those photos.
I also add a few extra strips on top in smaller sizes. I wanted to add a little pop of reddish-orange to match Drew's red hair.
Variation #5 - Change the type of strips.
I turned my background strips into arrow strips instead of the banner strips on the sketch. Since my layout is all about directional action, I thought the arrows would be a fun way to incorporate the theme into my design.
I also add some stitched arrow lines to further highlight this design.
That's it for today! Be sure to check back tomorrow for the second layout!